AC/DC

Let There Be Rock!!

Saturday, October 17, 2009

The first is still the best.



It was either Ummmm. Late 1977.. Or early 1978?.. My brother and me were sitting in his garage listening to Jimi, trying to bang out a piss poor version of Red House on one of my old $10 acoustic guitars that I bought at a yard sale- (Yeah we thought we were cool) - after several attempts we’d concluded that if either of us were ever going to play as good as Jimi Hendrix, one of us was going to have to grow more fingers. So we begrudgingly turned off the stereo when in walks my brothers wife’s younger brother Tim. Long hair flopping in the breeze, jeans ripped at both knees wearing a “Up Yours” tee shirt and wreaking of freshly smoked doobage. Sitting on his shoulders was the biggest boom box that I had ever seen, and from which came a sound of the like that I had never heard before or since, below I shall attempt to reconstruct the entire conversation as it unfolded.
Me: “Whatcha listening to Tim?”
Tim: “ it’s a new band.”
Me: “A what?”
He turned up the volume and both my brother and me leaned forward to give it a better listen.



He looked at me and I looked back at him and we both looked at Tim and then the boom box.
My brother and me: “Who is that?”
Tim: “I tol ya.. it’s a new band.”
Just me now: “Tim you already said that.. What is the new bands name?”
Tim now smiling: “which new band?”
Must have been the doobage.
Both of us again: “The new band you’re listening too!”
Long story short, after much coaxing and me threatening to wrap my $10 Guitar around his skull if he didn’t tell us the name of the new band. Tim finally Gave up a name; “Van Halen”
While I never became a HUGE fan, of theirs I always did have a huge amount of respect for Van Halen’s contributions to the industry. And while the first few albums kicked ass, they have long since began spiraling out of control. And it was a dive that I personally believe that they have never recovered from. Shame too. The original band was loaded. Now it has become a sad excuse for a Rock & Roll Soap opera. Eddie, Alex and mike HATE Dave.. Dave leaves.. Eddie Hires Sammy.. Eddie Hates Sammy.. Sammy Leaves and Mike goes with him.. meanwhile.. Sammy and Mike team up with Joe Satriani to form the new band Chickenfoot. Thanks, but I’ll stick with the original.



~Chickenfoot?.. No foolin?~

7 comments:

  1. Chickenfoot?? For real?? I used to love Van Halen back in the day too - they had a great sound, and always had a great base beat to crank it up loud!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah.. for real.. Chickenfoot. its supposed to be a super band. With Sammy Hagar, Joe Satriani, Michael Anthony and Chad Smith. (The drummer for the Red Hot Chili Peppers) I heard a few Tracks and they're- well ok I guess. I love Sammy's Music, and I love Joes Music. but together? I dunno we'll see I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Van Halen isn't really one of my all time favorites. I do like some of their songs, just not all of them. Sammy had the better voice, but I liked Diamond Dave's showmanship better. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess that's not as bad as some band names in the 80s...LOL...Chickenfoot...sounds like quite a lineup though.

    http://bellascellardoor.blogspot.com/

    Could you please update your link to my music blog over here...which was Let The Music Play On? thanx...it is no more! This is the new one. I redid the whole music site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherry:

    They weren't one of mine either. I wasn't a fan of ol Dave, but I liked the bands early stuff. didn't care for Dave's personality. love Sammy Hagar's stuff but he does his best when he's alone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bella:

    I've updated your link Thanks for telling me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to redo my font size too over there, it's way too small and is killin me on that background! LOL

    ReplyDelete